Thursday, March 10, 2005

Mairay Derd ko jo Zubaan Milay

For the very first time I heard this touching piece of poetry in Nayyara Noor's devine voice, and Arshad Mehmood's composition on top of that, courtesy of the dear old PTV (the nostalgia).
hm. as they say it in punjabi : "haaaaihhh!!! THAAN MERJAWAAN!" ;) ..this was the effect on my heart n soul. :). loved it. And always hummed it since then. Despite my barely struggling singing talent, ive even tried singing it to my sis, (just for a change from singing in the shower as I always do)... haha poor soul, she always has to bare me. :D great na? ;) ...well she has to pay some price of sharing my room. 8)
Well as I was saying, this ghazal, Ive always felt it close to my soul. May be 'cause it holds the same questions of existance and human soul, that have always intrigued, perplexed, & almost plagued me...
Its been written by Faiz Ahamad Faiz, (in 1972), and is taken from his book "Shaam-e-Shehr-e-Yaraan".

Maira derd naghma-e-besadaa
mairee zaat zarrah-e-benishaan
*
mairay derd ko jo zubaan milay
mujhey apna naam-o-nishaan milay
*
mairee zaat ka jo nishaan milay
mujhey raaz-e-nazm-e-jahaan milay
*
jo mujhey yeh raaz-e-nihaan milay
mree khamoshee ko bayaan milay
*
mujhey kainaat ki serwaree
mujhey daulat-e-dojahaan milay

1 comment:

Mohib said...

baqaul Ali Sardar Jafri,

raaz-e-fitrat huaa laakh ham pe ayaaN
raaz-e-fitrat nihaan ka nihaan hai abhi

Great one by Faiz. Trying to find the rendition by NN.

Wish me luck.
;-)